Friday, June 1, 2007

McFarlandDesigns

I am at work. We just spilled ammonia on the floor. And it smells. Bad. I need some kind of relaxation. Something pretty to look at. How about.... McfarlandDesigns!


Labradorite and Sterling Silver Ring, size 8-1/2



1) Your shop name:
McFarlandDesigns

2) Your real name:
Tamara McFarland

3) Your favorite breakfast cereal:
Peanut butter puffs with chocolate almond milk

4) When did you begin creating?
Well, if you mean really seriously creating jewelry with a mind towards selling it, then only about a year and a half ago. But if you mean creating in a broader sense, I've always been creative. I was artistic as a child and during high school was drawn to graphic design and architecture. Somehow I ended up doing bookkeeping/accounting instead, which was a big mistake! After 10 years of that, I finally quit and now I have the time and energy to devote to being creative nearly full-time. Over the years, I've dabbled in jewelry, knitting, sewing/quilting, and other crafts. I feel like I've finally found my right place with jewelry, although it's always fun to try new things... Who knows where I'll be in a few more years. :-)

5) Got a day job?
Not anymore - see above, although I do spend the bulk of my days taking care of my 18 month old son. Jewelry work happens during naptime and after bedtime, often until the wee hours.

6) Your inspirations:
My inspirations are all across the board, from my family and friends, my animals and all the animals on the planet, to the beautiful part of the world where I live (Humboldt County, CA - redwoods + pacific ocean), to the other Etsy sellers I see creating amazing things.


When Life Gives You Lemons... Bracelet



7) Weirdest thing you've ever made:
Once I was playing around trying to make something to donate to a high-dollar animal charity fundraiser and I made a glitzy mosaic-style dog bone pendant. It never made it to public view, but I still have it. I have no idea what to do with it.

8) Creation that you are most proud of:
The creations that I'm most proud of at the moment, although this may change depending on the day you ask me:
Fancy Wrapped Green Garnet Necklace with lots-o-gemstones
Citrus Sorbet Necklace

9) Explain your shop name:
My shop name doesn't need much explanation; it's not particularly clever - McFarland is my last name.

10) Final thoughts?
Thank you so much for the opportunity to show my work on your blog. I really appreciate it. If anyone wants to visit my sites or drop me a line, here's my info:
www.mcfarlanddesigns.com
www.mcfarlanddesigns.etsy.com
www.bestbeads.etsy.com (my second shop, where I sell gemstone beads)
www.mcfarlanddesigns.blogspot.com
email: orders [!at] mcfarlanddesigns.com


Lemon Drop Necklace - Lemon Quartz and Sterling Silver



Please go visit McFarlandDesigns, and keep checking back for more interviews with amazing Etsy sellers!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Thanks so much for posting my interview on your blog! :-)