Thursday, June 14, 2007

Paperflowergirl

Today has been WONDERFUL. I have done absolutely nothing. I slept in until noon. Then I woke up and played video games with my brother. Then I played on Etsy for at LEAST three hours. I haven't had a day like this in a good, loooooooong time, and I couldn't be more thrilled. You know what ELSE I couldn't be more thrilled about? Finding this AWESOME shop by Paperflowergirl!


AN EASTERN FAIRYTALE Sunset Necklace



1) Your shop name:
Paperflowergirl

2) Your real name:
Isis Sturtewagen

3) Your favorite breakfast cereal:
I never eat cereals for breakfast. I rather make myself a milkshake, or eat yochurt with fruit.

4) When did you begin creating?
I have been creatng things as long as I can remember,... I have been messing around with beads, yarns, fabric, paper, pencils, paint and glue since I was old enough to hold them in my hands. One of the first things I can remember making is a little book in which I would write (not really words, becasue I was couldn't really write at that time, but just spirals and loops en stripes and lines) in a little book, when I couldn't fall asleep at night.

5) Got a day job?
I'm studying Archaeology, so no dayjob yet for me.

6) Your inspirations:
I'm inspired by lots of different things. By nature. By small forgotten details nobody ever notices. By other artists. By historical costume.


FORBIDDEN FRUITS Spiral



7) Weirdest thing you've ever made:
I can't think of really weird things. I did make a lot of stuff modern people would consider weird though. Apart from making jewelry I also make historical costumes. My favorit period is the Middle Ages. So probably medieval drawers are quite weird, and also some types of medieval women's headwear might look quite odd to many people.
You can read more about my historical costume and accessories making here: http://m-silkwork.blogspot.com

8) Creation that you are most proud of:
At the moment that would be this pair of earrings, since they are the result of my first attempts at hammering metal.

9) Explain your shop name:
The name I gave to my shop, Paper Flower Girl, goes back to a story form my early youth. When I was a kid, in summer me, my parents would take me and my little sister to the beach. It was tradition to make paper flowers and then exchange these with the flowers other kids made, or 'sell' them to each other for beautiful shells we found on the shore.

10) Final thoughts?
I'm really happy that I found out about etsy and the online crafting world half a year ago. It's a hard job to get noticed, but, there is always light at the end of the tunnel!


FORBIDDEN FRUITS Teal apples



Please go visit Paperflowergirl, and keep checking back for more interviews with amazing Etsy sellers!

No comments: