Thursday, May 24, 2007

Brooklyn Nite Owl

Little update on work. They sent me home early yesterday. I was supposed to work a six hour shift. They sent me home after one hour. Apparently, I am REALLY inept when I am sick. I can't count change, I can't bag items, I can't remember to give the customer his or her receipt... And I had lost my voice. They were like, "Wow. You are special. No, seriously. Just go home." So I did. And you know what I did right after that? I browsed Etsy. And I saw this cute shop by Brooklyn Nite Owl!


Sweet Zoe Scents - Bibianna Goat Milk Soap



1) Your shop name:
Brooklyn Nite Owl

2) Your real name:
Heather Kunka

3) Your favorite breakfast cereal:
Cream of Wheat with honey and tasty little Sunmaid dried fruit bits (stop laughing!) (Or it was my fav before I went low carb again -- down 10 pounds and counting! Now fav breakie is bacon, lots of bacon!)

4) When did you begin creating?
I began creating with finger paints at age 3 on freshly painted apartment walls (yes, really). Mom and Dad were less than thrilled with my creative genius. Never leave a 3 year old unattended! My grandmother was a terrific artist though, and very encouraging!

5) Got a day job?
Cool actually, customer service for a heating oil cooperative -- I help people all day, and enjoy it!

6) Your inspirations:
Abstract patterns are my inspiration, and I find them everywhere: nature, architecture, reflections, broken glass, in light, shadow, mist, rain... The simple play of sunlight on leaves amazes me!


June Raspberry Metalwork Bracelet



7) Weirdest thing you've ever made:
Some of my paintings have been a bit, uh, unique... One of the most memorable is a whirling dervish of color that I think I titled "Riding the Carousel After One Too Many Tequilas!" I still have it, and I think it's cool!

8) Creation that you are most proud of
I am very proud of my Metalwork bracelets, since each one is done from scratch without bracelet forms or anything like that. I love the whole process of forming the sheeting, making the bracelet (I use an old fashioned rolling pin!), and building up layers of sheer tints to add depth. I really like the drama of them!

I am also very proud of my pies, which are not available on Etsy. I made damn good pie! Today's pie was blueberry/blackberry/strawberry, with tiny chunks of candied ginger, cinnamon and allspice. My boyfriend is gaga for pie, so I usually make one every week!

9) Explain your shop name:
Shop name, huh? I've lived in Brooklyn for over a decade now, in very diverse areas, and given the opportunity I love being up late at night, working on a project... Though I confess I'm probably even more of a morning chick, since I love the dawn! But Brooklyn Morning Owl just sounded stupid.

As for the owl, I adore birds, even the ubiquitous sparrow, even starlings (whom no one seems to like), crows (very regal), and, yes, even pigeons (ok, so they're rats with wings--most of them are exceptionally pretty!). My favorite birds are: Stellar's Sea Eagle and the Junco and any type of owl. Whooo can resist owls, with their amazing hunting skills (even when blindfolded), their huge eyes, and their haunting hoot? Such cool birds.

10) Final thoughts?
I like creating something original. Ideas come to me all the time, so I've learned to scribble them down so I don't forget them (damn, forgot the great creative thought but remembered to pick up eggs!). When I was in high school I won lots of medals for paintings and drawings, all very realistic ... and heave a little sigh of regret ... I was forcing myself to conform to what was expected of me. NOW -- hah! I do what I want!

For someone with a sunny disposition most of my paintings are fairly dark in nature (but not in color!) In fact, I've just about finished one, painted on metal sheeting, that I'll be posting in a couple of days. But my jewelry is cheerful and bright and definitely wearable!


Pink Sandstone Pendant



Please go visit Brooklyn Nite Owl, and keep checking back for more interviews with amazing Etsy sellers!

1 comment:

Kiley said...

I love that bracelet! Stunning!