Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Kiley's Handmade Books

I'm officially on break! Two days off from work! Woooo! I have the Fourth of July off, along with the day after. And you know what my plans are? Sleep! Yesssss!

Things have been really great, though. Well, aside from those awful, demanding, mean customers we had in today. I'm still developing my "secret item", and plans are still in the works for the Lucky 7s sale (which will happen on the same day as the wedding of Kiley's Handmade Books, incidentally).

And speaking of Kiley's Handmade Books...


Stars and Silk Upcycled Kimono Remnats



1) Your shop name:
Kiley's Handmade Books

2) Your real name:
Kiley Watson, Will be Kiley Gwynn on July 7th of this year! Which I know is like *the* wedding day of the year 7/7/07 and really lame- but we didn't pick it for the lucky 7's. We picked it because it happens to be our five-year anniversary- and it happened to be on a Saturday!

3) Your favorite breakfast cereal:
I'm really not a cereal person. If I have to pick one it would probably be malt-o-meal. Crazy I know, I mean hot cereal is still cereal right? My big problem with cereal is I don't like the taste of milk.

My favorite breakfast is fresh fruit and a breakfast bar of some sort. For months I've been eating two apples, crisp ones like pink ladies or brae burns, but they are way out of season right now, and I had to give them up a few weeks ago. It's not quiet Oregon berry season yet so I've been struggling to find good fruit. I also have a breakfast bar with it, I usually pick those up at Trader Joe's. On the weekends I treat my fiancé and myself to marionberry streusel muffins at a little shop down the street.

4) When did you begin creating?
When I was very young. I don't even remember the first time a paint brush was stuck in my hands. My dad was an art student working towards a BFA when I started grade school. I have always been surrounded by creative people and have learned a lot from them. My favorite item I created when I was young is a glass paperweight I blew one afternoon after school. I went to a "lab school" on campus that was just across the lawn from the art school. I spent many afternoons in the art labs "taking" college art classes.

5) Got a day job?
As far as day jobs go I have a pretty good one. I am a "wholesale operations manager" for African Imports company that imports African Handicrafts. Like my fancy title I made it up myself? We are a small company and I do everything. I'm #2 and in charge while the owner is in Africa and often when she is in charge. Each of our items is hand crafted and designed by us. We have a working relationship with all of our artisans. We use recycled or "upcycled" materials whenever they are available to use; for example, our bone products are made with bone that is procured from local butchers. I have been there for two years but will leave my fancy titled job in the fall to go back to school to take a year of chemistry in hopes to be admitted to a book conservation program.

6) Your inspirations:
My inspirations for my books come from wanting to make the perfect book. Okay, thats a strange answer- the reason I got into bookbinding was to build a 3-D portfolio for admission to graduate school. I think my books show my artistic side more than the more traditional binders I know. I would like to think mine have quite a bit of flair to them.


Stamped and Stabbed



7) Weirdest thing you've ever made:
I made a Jayne hat for my fiancé last Halloween- it was great. My crochet skills are mediocre but it came out great! Very much so out of my realm of paper!

8) Creation that you are most proud of:
At this point it is the wedding books I made for my aunt's wedding presents. They were stunning, and I really didn’t want to part with them! As they were a gift for a family member they aren’t on Etsy but you can see them on my blog. I hope that as I start the books for my approaching wedding they will become what I am the most proud of.

9) Explain your shop name:
Pretty simple really- Kiley’s Handmade Books- My name is Kiley and I made handmade books- lol. I guess I wasn’t feeling very creative. The KupoKiley part comes from the video game series Final Fantasy- The Moogles (adorable little fuzzy creatures) say it- I’m a big gamer and Final Fantasy III for the SNES is one of my favorite games ever.

10) Final thoughts?
I didn’t mean for this to be so long-winded :P
Thanks for taking the time to learn a little bit about me and please stop by lessthanthreedesigns store! She’s a got some great stuff and is a great addition to etsy! Thanks!


Dream Journal Swirls and Stars Hand Decorated Coptic Hardbound Book



Please go visit Kiley's Handmade Books, and keep checking back for more interviews with amazing Etsy sellers!

No comments: